BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!

BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!
Books-The REAL Temptation...

Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

REVIEW:Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis



SUMMARY:I’d love a cup of coffee. I wish she knew how pretty she was. I wish I could drop this kid in the dryer sometimes. I just want her to be happy. I hope she didn’t find out what Ben said about her. I wish I knew how many calories were in a bite of muffin…

Joy is used to hearing Whispers. She’s used to walking down the street and instantly knowing people’s deepest, darkest desires. She uses this talent for good, to make people happy and give them what they want. But for her older sister, Jessica, the family gift is a curse, and she uses it to make people’s lives—especially Joy’s—miserable. Still, when Joy Hears a frightening whisper from Jessica's own mind, she knows she has to save her sister, even if it means deserting her friends, stealing a car and running away with a boy she barely knows—a boy who may have a dark secret of his own.


MY REVIEW:I liked Whisper because it deals with protagonists whose powers are a little different.I really like books which deal with urban fantasy but not with the typical vampires,fallen angels and werewolves.Joy’s power of being able to hear the thoughts and desires of other people is a gift that I would have liked to have myself!So I want to give Phoebe Kitanidis full marks for inventing a relatively unique and creative power and attributing this gift to the protagonists and building the story around that!But as we proceed along the story Kitanidis actually explains to us through her character how the gift becomes a curse.I couldn’t connect with the character of Joy at the beginning because she was just a little bit too naïve for my liking but I began to like her as the story proceeded and she matured.Her romance with Jamie,a boy who has secrets of his own,was not too well developed but it might be due to the fact that it is only the first book of the series.More than the romance,what I enjoyed in the book was the relationship between the two sisters,Joy and Jessica.The past recollections of Joy about both of them added a beauty to the story.I really loved those bits in the book.Also,the way she used the two sisters with same powers as a foil,to bring out the personalities of one another,was excellent.So I would recommend the book to all those who enjoy reading YA.It is a gritty novel full of suspense and excitement.Phoebe Kitanidis has a strong voice and I like the way in which she brings the sisters together through the courseof the book and how Joy begins to empathize with Jessica and her point of view.

I really liked the book and loved the cover of the book and would like to recommend it to all those who enjoy reading YA paranormal.

MY RATING:4.5/5

3 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this book. Thanks for the review. I hope to pick it up in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Medeia!I hope you'll enjoy the book when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the idea of both girls having the same gift, but using it differently. It sounds like a unique book.

    ReplyDelete