BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!

BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!
Books-The REAL Temptation...

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

REVIEW:The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg


SUMMARY:Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a...more Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . . .

MY REVIEW:First of all I really felt that the title of the book is very catchy. I really liked the name of the book and also the Beatles’ reference. The protagonist is named Penny Lane but the Beatles’ reference does not stop at this.The book is light,easy and a fun read. I enjoyed the beginning of the book but I as I progressed,disappointment set in. There were a few flaws in the book. I felt Penny was confused and quite a boring sort of character.Even her friends,Tracy and Diane were pretty tame characters.Everyone and everything in the book was honey-dripping sweet.There was never a high point in the book.Sure there were nice points but never a high point for me.

But what I like about the book is the message that Elizabeth Eulberg is trying to get across to the young readers-to be the girls that they are and not try and change themselves for guys with their ever-changing whims and fancies.I also appreciate the female bonding that the author showed in the book and Penny and the rest of The Lonely Hearts Club supporting each other,sticking with each other through all the rough patches.Also Eulberg mentions how we should be strong enough to pursue our dreams and pursue something just for the heck of it.

The Lonely Hearts Club is a nice,light,quick,fun read which made me smile quite often.I love the cover of the book and the many Beatles’ references.But it disappointed me too because of the lame characters,non-existing high point and sugar-coated characters and situations.

MY RATING: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment