BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!

BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!
Books-The REAL Temptation...

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Review: The Sky Always Hears Me:And The Hills Don't Mind by Kirstin Cronn-Mills


SYNOPSIS: I borrow the car again from Grandma and drive out to my hill. I scream I AM A BIG FAT ZERO, plus I AM SWEARING OFF KISSING FOREVER, and I HATE BEING A SECRET SEX FIEND, about sixteen times each. Then I sit very still and watch a hawk swirl over the fields. I have to get a new life before I go crazy.

Sixteen-year-old Morgan lives in a hick town. Her mom was killed in a car accident when she was two, her dad drinks, and her stepmom is a non-entity. Her boyfriend Derek is boring and she can't stop staring at her coworker Rob's cute butt. Then there's the kiss she shared with her neighbor Tessa . . . But when Morgan discovers a devastating secret about the one person she completely trusted, her entire world crashes and she must redefine her life and herself.

Compelling and complex, The Sky Always Hears Me is a fast-paced narrative with raw humor and a heart-wrenching twist.

-From GOODREADS

MY REVIEW: I can safely begin this review by stating that I LOVE The Sky Always Hears Me:And The Hills Don’t Mind! The title and the book cover is what attracted me in the beginning. For me,the title of a book plays quite an important part in building up my interest for the book and I must say that Kirstin Cronn Mills has given her debut book the most apt title! I can’t think of any other title for the book…and I love it!

Now to move on to the story,it was an absolutely wonderful roller-coaster ride! I enjoyed the book so much so that I have even had a dream about it yesterday night! We don’t want to go into the details of the dream but I can just about hint that I was there with Rob and his ‘perfectly cute ass’!*swoons* And Tessa was together with Jessica! LOL! That one was the cherry,seriously,guys! And I wont tell you why…you have to read the book to find out the reason.

I adore the way Kirstin has sketched out Morgan’s life and character. Morgan is a regular teenager,so very relatable and one you would love to be friends with. She has been given a quirky and witty voice which made the narrative extremely enjoyable. I like that she is very focused about her dreams and is strong enough to defy everything she has for her dreams’ fulfillment. She wants to write The Great American Novel someday but for now has to keep herself satisfied with writing fortunes. I must mention that these fortunes were the highlight of the book for me. Morgan poured her thoughts,feelings,philosophy,logic and ideas in the fortunes which went on to reveal a greater understanding of Morgan’s character in a very intelligent manner.

The relationships and Morgan’s varying equations with all the other characters in the book(her grandma,her father,her stepmother,her brothers,her boyfriends,Tessa and her friends) makes the book extremely realistic and appealing. I love Morgan’s brothers. They are absolutely gorgeous! I wish I had brothers like them…

Morgan also has her so many typical teenage problems and the way she deals with them is no doubt extremely commendable. The book also covers the issue of sexuality and teenage confusion regarding sexuality. I am sure every teen has gone through a phase wondering what it would be like to kiss someone of the same sex and whether such feelings makes him/her a homosexual. This issue has been beautifully dealt with in the book. Morgan’s inner turmoil regarding her sexuality has been given much importance in the book,which,though could have made this an LGBT book,instead just portrays the pangs and angst of every teenager,making it a mainstream YA book dealing with sexuality issues.

Kirstin also writes about issues like PMS,child abuse and forgiveness. I will not disclose how Kirstin uses these issues in the book but I must say that the book,for me,transcends from being a mere high school experience into a greater understanding of life,relationships and their complexities. The treatment given to the book makes it an unforgettable experience for me. I would love to read the book over and over again. This book is like a ‘complete package’ for me-extremely fun,charming,compelling and thought provoking at the same time. I highly recommend this book!

MY RATING: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment