BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!

BOOKAHOLICS OYE!!
Books-The REAL Temptation...

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2012

REVIEW:I Know It's Over by C.K.Kelly Martin

SYNOPSIS: PURE. UNPLANNED. PERFECT. Those were Nick’s summer plans before Sasha stepped into the picture. With the collateral damage from his parents’ divorce still settling and Dani (his girl of the moment) up for nearly anything, complications are the last thing he needs. All that changes, though, when Nick runs into Sasha at the beach in July. Suddenly he’s neck-deep in a relationship and surprised to find he doesn’t mind in the least. But Nick’s world shifts again when Sasha breaks up with him. Then, weeks later, while Nick’s still reeling from the breakup, she turns up at his doorstep and tells him she’s pregnant. Nick finds himself struggling once more to understand the girl he can’t stop caring for, the girl who insists that it’s still over.
-From Goodreads

MY REVIEW: I Know It's Over is a pretty nice read. It breezes by. The characters are well developed and interesting. Though it is a romance novel,it deals not only with problems of love but relates to other teen issues too.
The chemistry between Sasha and Nick was strong. Personally,I liked the past reflections more than the narration of their present chemistry. However,I found Sasha's character a wee bit bizarre and weird. I could comprehend no reason for her changing behavior. She was too moody and whimsical for me,and personally,I'm averse to such people,even in my personal life! Now,Nick is my quintessential lover boy. I don't know how Sasha could pass up someone like him! Nick supported Sasha in her every decision. I'd have liked Sasha to understand his emotions and feelings for once! Nevertheless,it was interesting to read the book totally from Nick's perspective. And that may have coated my opinions about Nick and Sasha. May be if Kelly Martin had provided Sasha's reasons for her actions,it would have been more comprehensible and one could judge her in a better and fairer light.
I was totally in love with Nathan,Nick's gay best friend. His dilemma and portrayal was was extremely realistic. Kelly Martin excelled in sketching his character and through him,we also get to see the stigma still present in the society against freely accepting homosexuals.
What I really liked about this book is that though it deals with many serious teen issues,it is never preachy. The narrative just presents the story of two individuals who were in love and due to various circumstances(some incomprehensible to me) fall apart. Within it are embedded issues of divorce,homosexuality,growing up and teen pregnancy.
The ending is pretty satisfactory. Though its not completely to my liking(I'm a sucker for happy endings),any other ending would have felt forced. So in all,its a pleasant read and I liked it inspite of its shortcomings.

MY RATING: 3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. This is a great synopsis, it immediately creates several struggles which all seem as though they need a resolution. Both Nick and Sasha’s characters are drawn together but trying to separate themselves at the same time. This could draw a parallel between them and Nick’s divorced parents. Using a realistic description of the Nathan character would really display the battles of prejudice against homosexuality.


    Split-Site PhD by Liza

    ReplyDelete